Gao, Ji-Wu 高继武
Grandmaster Gao, Ji-Wu is a 5th Generation Baguazhang master from Beijing and the current lineage holder of the Yin Sect Gao Style Baguazhang system. He was born in October of 1942 to a family of Chinese martial art masters. His grandfather, Gao, Wen-Cheng, was a favorite disciple of the great masters Yin, Fu and Liu, De-Kuan, who were both direct disciples of Dong, Hai-Chuan, the founder of Baguazhang. Gao, Wen-Cheng was skilled in many schools of martial arts. His son, Gao, Zi-Ying, became a famous master of Baguazhang in modern times and had many disciples. He was one of the mportant masters of Baguazhang in the mid 20th century.
Grandmaster Gao, Ji-Wu began studying Chinese martial arts at the age of 7 with his father, Gao, Zi-Ying. As a child, he learned Changquan, broadsword, spear and straight sword. As a young adult, he began to learn Baguazhang, Xingyiquan and Taijiquan. Through his deep study and research of internal martial arts, he has been able to distill the essences of all the arts and pinpoint the defining factor for each in regards to internal qi, physical applications, and mental intent. As a renowned specialist in Baguazhang, he has mastered all the forms and weapons of his system and is well-respected for his ability Bagua push-hands.
Gao, Ji-Wu was awarded the first prize in the senior masters group for Xingyiquan and Baguazhang at the Yuyang Cup Competition in Traditional Chinese Martial Arts held in 1999 in Beijing. In 2001, he was awarded second prize in Baguazhang at the Dongsheng Huabo Cup Competition. In 1996, he published the following articles: “Single Training Method of the Sixty-Four Hands of Baguazhang” and “Actual Fighting Training Method of the Sixty-Four Hands of Baguazhang” in the first, second, third, and seventh issue of the Wu Hun (Soul of Martial Arts) Magazine. In 2007, he published The Essentials of Baguazhang in New York. In 2010 he published The Attacking Hands of Baguazhang in both Chinese and English in New York. In 2002, he published the VCDs The Authentic Explanation of Attacking and Defending Techniques in Baguazhang, Bagua Pianxuan Broadsword, and Bagua Crescent-Moon Knives, supervised by the Beijing Wushu Institute, and filmed and published by Guangdong Hongxiang Video Press. These VCDs have sold many copies in both China and abroad.
Grandmaster Gao has taught Chinese martial arts for many years, and has numerous disciples and students. Gao, Ji-Wu coached Chinese martial arts in Beijing at the Xinyuanli Teenager’s Home and at Beijing College of Iron and Steel from 1980 to 1985. In 2002, he was appointed as deputy president and general coach of the Beijing Huailou Traditional Martial Art School. He is the current president of the Beijing Baguazhang Research Association, senior advisor of the North American Tang Shou Tao Association as well as honorable president of Zhong Ding International Traditional martial Art Association, UK. He is deputy chairman of the Chinese Federation of Folk Martial Artists, and is ranked high-level eighth duan (total of nine) in Chinese martial arts ranking system.
In 2004, Gao, Ji-Wu was invited to teach Baguazhang in Singapore. In 2005 and 2006, he was invited twice to teach Baguazhang in New York City and Connecticut State University. In December of 2007 and in December of 2008, he was invited twice to teach Baguazhang in Phitsanuloke, Thailand.
For many years Grandmaster Gao, Ji-Wu has continued to study, research and teach Baguazhang. He feels it is his duty to spread the art of Baguazhang. His disciples, students
and grand-students have won many awards and prizes in Traditional Chinese Martial Arts competitions at both the national and international level.
Some of Grandmaster Gao’s titles are as follows:
- 5th Generation lineage holder – Beijing Baguazhang
- President – Beijing Baguazhang Research Association
- High Level 8 Duan in Chinese Martial Arts Ranking System
- Deputy President/General Coach – Beijing Huailou Traditional Wushu School
- Senior Advisor – North American Tang Shou Tao Association
- Honorable President – Zhong Ding International Traditional Martial Art Association, UK
- Deputy Chairman – Chinese Federation of Folk Martial Artists
- Martial Arts Coach – Xinyuanli Teenager’s Home
- Martial Arts Coach – Beijing College of Iron and Steel
- Member of Beijing Wushu Association
Grandmaster Gao has been featured in the following publications and media:
- Wudang Magazine
- Wu Hun Magazine (Soul of Martial Arts)
- Inside Kung Fu Magazine
- Baguazhang – Chinese Documentary Film
- Beijing Baguazhang – Chinese Documentary Film
- Searching for the Way – Nigel Sutton, Author
Some of Grandmaster Gao’s Publications:
- The Essentials of Baguazhang
- The Attacking Hands of Baguazhang
- Single Training Method for Bagua’s 64 Hands
- Actual Fighting Training Method for Bagua’s 64 Hands
- The Authentic Explanation of Attacking and Defending Techniques in Baguazhang
- Baguazhang 64 Hands
- Baguazhang Pian Xuan Broadsword
- Baguazhang Basic Techniques
- Baguazhang Crescent-Moon Knives